To kick off our Let’s All Be Free Film Festival 2014 (8th-10th April), we are celebrating with an exciting, new event – Inspiring Change: Short Films and Conversations at Whirled Cinema in Brixton. BOOK YOUR TICKETS NOW!
We will screen brilliant, socially impactful short films from Amnesty International UK, Survival International,Women for Refugee Women, Amantani, Ashoka and touching street-life film The Truth About Stanley (you can read The Independent’s 5-star review of the film here). The topics will range from homelessness to North Korean labour camps, from women asylum seekers to a film about indigenous rights narrated by Joanna Lumley – and more!
This will be followed by a panel discussion with an excellent roster of speakers (see details below) – a diverse mix of producers, directors, activists and funders who will discuss the impact of social issue films and explore how these projects can inspire change on the ground.
- Paul Woolwich – Executive Producer, Amnesty International & BAFTA award winning producer of films for BBC, HBO
- Fred Branson – Co-Director, Amantani – a charity working to improve education for indigenous Peruvian children
- Lucy Tcherniak – award-winning director of The Truth About Stanley
- Pauline Verhaeghe – Co-Founder, GoYoung Project – an educational tool and documentary film profiling young social entrepreneurs from around the world
- Activists from Women for Refugee Women – challenging the injustices experienced by women who seek asylum in the UK
- Moderator: Jenny Horwell – Producer, DocHouse – film festival, masterclasses and documentary community
We only have a very limited number of seats left, so book your tickets now for only £5.00!
Monday 7th April 2014, 7pm – 9pm
259-260 Hardess Street (off Herne Hill Road)
London SE24 0HN
- Loughborough Junction – 3 min walk (National Rail – Thames Link from Farringdon/Blackfriars/Elephant and Castle; from Sutton via Herne Hill)
- Denmark Hill (Overground) – 13 min walk
- Brixton (Victoria line, National Rail) – 15 min walk
- Nearest buses from Brixton / Camberwell: 35, 45, 345, P4